HAND SANITIZER DANGER FOR CHILDREN

HAND SANITIZER DANGER FOR CHILDREN There were 5,157 cases of hand sanitizer “exposure” such as swallowing involving children 12 years of age and younger reported to U.S. poison control centers in the first three months of 2018. Most children who get a “taste” or a “lick” of hand sanitizer experience only mild symptoms, if any, and can be safely managed at home with the assistance of the Poison Center. Hand sanitizer taste bad and can result in a burning sensation, so most children will not swallow an amount large enough to produce symptoms. However, there are children who will drink anything, no matter how bad it tastes – and in those cases alcohol poisoning can result. The same thing can occur if mouthwash or perfume is swallowed. The bottom line is – hand sanitizers are beneficial for killing germs on hands and like all potentially poisonous items, they should be stored out of the reach of children and should be used according to the label. Adults should monitor use of hand sanitizer by children to ensure that the proper amount is used and that hands wet with sanitizer are not put in the mouth. Remember…If any amount is ingested, call Poison Control.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *