If I Am in a Car Accident in Massachusetts, who Should my Medical Bills be Sent to?

Getting into an auto accident can be extremely overwhelming. Not only was your car potentially damaged or totaled, but you may have experienced personal injuries, lengthy hospital stays, and hefty medical bills. If you’re wondering how these large bills will get paid, we’re here to provide some answers to that question. Depending on which state you were in when the car accident happened, the laws will differ. If you were in a car accident in Massachusetts, the auto insurance company, sometimes supplemented by your own health insurance company will cover the bills. Massachusetts is considered to be a “no-fault” car accident state, meaning that each driver’s auto insurance company will pay for their respective medical bills, regardless of who’s “fault” the accident was. 

How Can I Seek Damages from a Negligent Driver?

Since Massachusetts is a no-fault state and relies on insurance to pay for medical bills, you can only seek additional financial compensation for specific cases. You may be able to be compensated for pain, suffering, or unreimbursed expenses from the negligent driver under specific conditions. In order to do so, you must have suffered from one of the following as a direct result of the accident: 


  • A broken or fractured bone
  • Permanent and serious disfigurement
  • Permanent hearing loss
  • Loss of vision or permanent eye damage
  • Amputation of a limb
  • Medical expenses that exceed $2000
  • Wrongful death- surviving family members can seek damages from at-fault driver

What if I’m Partially “At Fault?” 

Massachusetts is a modified comparative fault state, meaning that it depends on how much responsibility you share for the accident. You can only recover damages if you’re less than 50% at-fault. Additionally, the total damages you’re eligible to receive will be reduced by the percentage of fault you share in the crash. 

What to do If the Other Drivers’ Insurance Company Contacts You 

If at any point after the accident the other drivers’ insurance company attempts to contact you, you should not answer them directly. Instead, you’ll want to direct them to your auto accident lawyer. If you do not yet have a lawyer, inform them that you won’t be speaking them until you have received legal counsel. 

Auto Accident Attorney in Massachusetts

If you’ve been in an auto accident in Massachusetts and need an experienced attorney to represent you and get the compensation you deserve, you can count on Attorney Christine M. Smith, R.N. M.S.N. Call us at 603-647-7200 or fill out an online form to get started today. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *